Thursday, 28 March 2013

On Homesickness

Today I was caught off guard by the first wave of homesickness I've felt since moving to London in September. I've been thinking about summer a lot, and looking forward to spending some time in Philly. But I also know that after about a week I'll be missing London tons, thinking every day of how I can't wait to get back here. I guess that's the problem with feeling settled in too many different places-- no matter where you are you're always homesick for somewhere else.

It's a familiar feeling, having first joined me when I started going to overnight summer camps as a kid. I went to two, and my experiences at each continue to be a huge part of who I am. Both felt like home to me. I spent the other parts of my year missing them, and my time at each missing the other, and sometimes missing home. Not that these nostalgic feelings took away from my experiences, just that they always seemed to be slipping around in the back of my mind somewhere.

The more experiences I have, the more places I'm aching to call home. I frequently daydream about India. I miss the mountains in a way I've never missed of nature before. I miss how colorful it was and the people who were my family those three months. It's a strange feeling, knowing that I will never get those exact feelings back. I hope I will return to India some day, but my situation will be so distant from what it was.

It's stranger still feeling that I'm past the point of knowing where to call home. Just floating I guess, which isn't so bad. I like being in the in-between.

14 comments:

  1. Homesickness is so hard! As much as you love where you are, there truly is no place like home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right! Definitely looking forward to getting back for a little while.

      Delete
  2. I know how you feel! I live in the United States now, but I've lived in another country and it seems like whenever you're living in one place the grass becomes greener in the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost feel bad for saying i get homesick going to university in a different city in the same country! Homesickness is horrible, but if you miss it, it means it something worth missing :) And if you have so many places that you can feel at home in thats a pretty cool thing :)

    Great blog!

    Katie <3 - http://onegirlstakeonallthingsgirly.blogspot.co.uk/ xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha you shouldn't.. it doesn't matter how far you are you're still not home. I love that way of looking at it though, it is pretty great to know that you have somewhere worth missing :)

      Delete
  4. i totally understand how you feel, i lived in london for a short time and nyc and i was homesick constantly. it will pass, the opportunities you have by goign to school there are incredible, enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sienna, you're absolutely right I feel so lucky to be here. Definitely wouldn't let being homesick take away from my experience!

      Delete
  5. Thanks Steven! Going to check out your page now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's amazing that you are in school in London. My one regret in college was never studying abroad. I can't wait to follow your posts about the experience of living in a different place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's never too late to travel! Thanks for the comment! xx

      Delete
  7. It's a true blessing to be able to have many homes on this planet - they all are unique and they all have a place in your heart♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you've got to say, and will leave responses below your comments.