Monday, 6 May 2013

On Street Harassment

via pinterest 

I love the summer and have been whining all through the winter waiting for the sun to come out. I am such a summer person. Even when it's hot, humid, and sweaty, I still prefer it to the winter. I love how easy it is to throw on a dress or shorts and a t shirt, not having to put on three layers to leave the house (and immediately start sweating when back in the warmth). But easy summer outfits mean showing more skin, which would be fine with me if this didn't result in a huge increase in street harassment. 

I remember when I first started getting attention from men on the street. I was eleven or twelve. At this point I was always pretty excited for someone to be saying they thought I was attractive. The excitement wore off quickly, and as I got older my reactions would depend entirely on my mood. Sometimes I would find it funny to wave or nod flirtatiously, sometimes I would give them the finger. Now it's always the finger.

While it would still be despicable, I think I would be slightly less disgusted if the end game of the men who honk and holler at me was to get in my pants. At least there is some sort of goal or purpose there. But no, the majority of men who honk or yell to women they pass know it won't get them anywhere. It isn't a compliment, it's a way of saying you are here for my entertainment. Your worth is measured in how much I want to bang you. No matter how you react or what you do, I will still see you as a sexual object. 

I'm sure that many of these men would say that they're just playing around, deny these hidden messages. And many of them would probably believe what they were saying. We're so used to these behaviors being the norm, and I'm pretty fucking tired of it.

Too frequently I hear women being blamed for the reactions they get to their bodies. If you didn't want the attention why did you wear that? you knew what to expect.. Women are taught this every day. From school dress codes to rape blame, women are being told that their bodies are always sexual, and are their responsibility to keep hidden away. 

I don't show my body the way I might want to because it isn't worth it to me. It isn't worth it to be harassed everywhere I go. It isn't worth it to be told it's my fault, that I look like a slut. I don't want to hear that I'll obviously get a sexual response because my body is a symbol of sexuality. My body can do so many things, sex is such a small part of that.

If you've experienced street harassment (and if you're a female reader I feel almost certain that you have ) I would love to hear your thoughts, and how you choose to handle it.

If you want to read more about this, I recently read an amazing post on truthfully, and would also urge you to check out hollaback!, an online project aiming to end street harassment.

33 comments:

  1. Interesting post! I actually laughed out loud at the meme you posted. It's extremely annoying and usually the people in the mall at the kiosks are annoying...I just walk away and ignore them. They want you to respond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah ignoring it can be a good option, especially with those people at the mall! The second you respond they take it as an invitation to talk at you forcefully about their product until you just walk away!

      Delete
    2. When i was young and this happened, i stopped and mirrored them back by imitating their gestures and words. Its hard at first, but the time you get to the motions of yanking off your non existant penis, they freeze and start turning away.The ugliness of their actions loose the sexual tone, and their companions who mentally masterbate along with the main leader, saying things like "disgusting!
      Point made.

      Delete
    3. I love that method of handling it! It not only shows them that you can do everything they do right back, but completely desexuales the situation. Definitely going to keep that one in mind.

      Delete
  2. I have so many feelings.

    This post was extremely well written. You worded everything beautifully. Thanks for speaking out these things!! I love that pintrest photo!

    I definitely think this topic should be discussed more often. Women have all learned to let these things roll off our backs and ignore them but I think we sould be angry! The way that women are forced to navigate this world feeling on edge, or on the defense- usually resulting in feeling defenseless is absolutely DISGUSTING. It definitely reinforces rape culture and places the blame on the victims which is unforgivable. Someone needs to teach these men from a young age to respect women!! (and themselves!)

    The other day I was harassed in the street as usual. I usually dont pay attention to it and I march forward avoiding eye contact with any man I come across (which I hate and I feel like I am profiling all men because at the sight of a man in the street I immediately put my guard up which is totally unfair to the gentlemen who still supposedly exist somewhere) This time it really bothered me...

    three men who were across the street walking in a different direction yelled across the street at me and my two friends they refured to us as numbers 1 2 and 3 and made comments about how hot or not hot we were.. like "number 1 is hotter then number 2" ETC. It made me feel completely and utterly shitty. I was fulled with so much anger, defeat, and sadness, I cant even express it.

    I AM NOT AN OBJECT TO BE CONSUMED. I AM A SMART IMPORTANT HUMAN BEING!
    I was born with the body that I have which belongs to me and no one else should be able to comment on it.

    So often women are objects of a male gaze controlled by it without any say in the matter- why!? (everyone read the female gaze its amazing)

    Anyways I decided I wanted to start tracking these experiences in a sexism journal.. a few of my friends are doing it as well.. I also want to try to get some younger students as well as maybe some boys/men to track times when they experience sexism. It is not just horrific moments of cat calling or god forbid something more serious it also happens all the time in little moments which are forgotten like when I go to home depot and the men assume I have no idea what im talking about and speak to me like I am a child.. I brush it off- (most of the time I understand building materials far better then them) or at staples when the men assume I am dumb and dont understand anything digital.. when I notice myself using a passive voice that women are raised to speak with always second guessing myself saying I think etc (something men usually dont do) which is completely crazy!

    I also came across this website which attempts to empower women when they are verbally attacked and louse agency..
    www.hollerback.com
    its pretty cool.

    -Leah Koontz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving such a fantastic comment!! It does make me really angry that we have to deal with these things and are expected to just laugh them off. Because if I have feelings about being treated like a worthless object apparently that makes me a stuck up bitch.

      What a horrifying experience!!! Ugh to act as if their ranking on who is 'hotter' determines your worth, or who is the most valuable as a person? It's absolutely disgusting I'm so sorry you guys had to put up with that.

      I LOVE that you're starting a sexism journal though!! You should consider making it a blog!! I think it could be really valuable to document those things in a public domain because people really need to see the reality of how offensive and serious these things are. If you're interested and feel you need to discuss that situation more I would be happy to post here something that you type up about it so let me know.

      I do love that there are movements to adress street harassment now.I hope they will continue to take off and draw attention to these situations.

      Delete
  3. Spot on is this post! It's an issue I used to feel really strongly about but I haven't written about it for a while.

    I've some really bad street harassment experiences - both the two worst times in my memory occurred in packed public places - first in the train station and then one time actually ON a train. One of these incidents led to the guy being charged with sexual assault and put in prison for 2 years so it's nice to not feel COMPLETELY helpless knowing I got a bit of justice that time.

    Now, if I leave the house alone which is most of the time, I just crank my headphones right up and make myself completely oblivious to the world. It's the only way I can cope sometimes xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I'm so sorry to hear you've had such awful experiences. You've also brought up an issue which I failed to mention, which is the complete lack of help you find from strangers. It's horrific that these things could happen to you in a public place with no interference from onlookers. But I applaud you for sticking up for yourself and getting the guy charged-- I think a huge part of the problem is people just letting things go and not standing up for themselves.

      Delete
  4. Instead of being taught, "Don't rape, don't harass, be respectful," we're taught, "Don't get rape, don't get harassed, and sparingly give respect."

    It was never a problem for me to be what I know myself to be... and the plus is that being groped in the subways and sexually called out in public places has taught me that nailing someone in the balls is quite the refreshing moment.

    I laud your post!
    xoxo
    S

    Life's Perceptions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's a pretty horrifying idea to place the blame of rape- or anything else-- on the victim rather than the attacker. Just goes to show how prevalent rape culture is in out every day lives.

      I love that you're not afraid to do what you have to do to stand up for yourself though ;)

      Delete
  5. great blog! would you like to follow each other in gfc and bloglovin? let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting post! The worst sometimes occurs at a bar / club when a man has had too much to drink....yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angie you're so right-- bars and clubs are awful for this, especially when someone's been drinking. Some people seem to think that if they've gone out to find a hook up everyone else around must be after the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I wish my blog would tell me when people link back to me.

    You're super articulate! Wow. I'm sad that you can't dress how you want to. Sometimes this world is pretty shitty. I'm so glad you're talking about this. It's important. I can see via the comments you've struck some chords and got people thinking.

    Kuddos to you. And hugs, too. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that would be convenient!

      I'm so happy that you like it. It makes me sad too, knowing that I let those things affect how I dress. I'm just glad I've been seeing more people talking about this in general. It's an issue that is brushed aside as unimportant far too often.

      Thanks for coming to check out my post xxx

      Delete
  9. This is good stuff here, I'll follow you :)
    Good to be using a blog to speak about more than fashion..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I'm glad you like it! :)

      Delete
  10. When I was a teenager 18 or so on spring break in Ft. Lauderdale my hometown. I drove down A1A in a slow crawl and leaned out the window and cat called some guys. My friends were horrified. They slunk down in their seats and hid their heads. They were so embarrassed that I would have cat called those cute boys. They were worried that people would think less of them because I had cat called boys. Now later I see that sexism is so ingrained that such behavior which caused women to hide their faces make men proud.

    Cat calling reminds us women everyday that men have the power to rape us and we cannot always protect ourselves. I wonder if they are all rapists who are looking for the right reaction so they can pick out their next victim. Chilling. I wonder if men know women are thinking like that. i think if a cute person cat called me I'd feel sorry because he'd just ruled himself out. It's not a good strategy for dating or mating.

    Thanks so much for the provocative article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this response! What an interesting point you've made. Making it normal for men to approach women in this way but not the other way around is just another way that cat-calling tells women that they are powerless. I agree that if someone cat-called me they would definitely be ruled out for dating or mating. They have the option to approach me respectfully, if they instead objectify and sexualize me like that, I would want nothing to do with them.

      Delete
  11. Sometimes you can't even ignore those street harassers. One time I was sitting on a bench in a park near the street and a guy in his car called out to me. I ignored him and he stopped, backed up so he was parked RIGHT in front of me, and starts hurling insults at me. I just froze; I was by myself and not a lot of people were near me at the time. Luckily the guy was blocking the street with his car and other cars started to honk at him to move away. He glared at me until he turned the corner, and I quickly ran away as soon as I couldn't see him any more. I wasn't even dressed up or anything, just enjoying a bagel in my pjs :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's insane! Situations like that are definitely the scariest ones. I'm glad that there were plenty of other people around when it happened to you though. I can't imagine what people are thinking when they act like that.. to be so starved for attention that they will scream insults at a complete stranger who doesn't show them the attention they want.. And that sort of situation shows even more that it's not always about how you're dressed, it's just about power and attention. I'm sorry that this happened to you, but thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for this post! It used to baffle me how oblivious my male friends were of this phenomenon, until I realised it usually doesn't happen when there's a man nearby, and most women are so used to it they don't even mention it. Most guys just have no idea of how often this sort of thing happens, or just don't understand what it does: I don't want to 'take it as a compliment' because it is not a compliment, it's a powerplay. I hate how I'm sometimes scared to wear high heels when I'm alone because I've been followed by a creep once and I realised I wouldn't be able to run away if he decided to up his game. I hate how I'm automatically cautious when I have to pass a group of men, and I don't want to be scared of them, but a few experiences too many have made it so. (a favourite game here is to shout at girls on bikes to see if they can scare them)

    The bad thing is that you just never know how to respond. I usually give them the finger and an ice-cold bitchface, but some guys just get very angry and even scarier if you do that. Ignoring has had the same effect. I hate how things like this can actually shake you and ruin your day. And really, most of the things I've experienced were not about trying to hit on me. It was a man trying to show how he had power over me, that he could scare me and make me feel uncomfortable. And the fact that some people feel it's necessary to do this makes me sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting, I had never realized that many males aren't aware of this. I guess men don't want to holler at a women if another man is going to defend her.. because of course a man's opposition to his actions would actually mean something unlike the woman he's harassing. Maybe some men who don't participate in cat calling have a hard time seeing that it isn't a compliment because if they were to approach a woman on the street, it would be because they were genuinely interested, being respectful, and actually being complimentary, so might think that this must be what others are doing as well. Just a thought, although I'm sure that some just completely misinterpret the situation.

      I completely relate to feeling scared to wear certain things or be certain places alone. I find it incredibly frustrating to not only be told I can't do certain things, but to actually have to abide by that for fear of my personal safety. Cat-calling is especially scary when someone seems like they might act in some unpredictable way..

      Delete
  13. At age 16 I was getting counseling for unrelated personal matters. One day I arrived at an appointment angry at the street harassment I had endured on the way. My therapist (male) asked me why I was angry at what was *obviously* a compliment. I explained to him in words of one syllable that what the men on the street were doing was NOT complimentary but threatening. I got a blank stare and he wrote in his notes "does not like male attention. Lesbian issues?" I know this because I got a glimpse of the notes when he stepped out of the room.

    I didn't stay with him long. When I quit he had the nerve to tell me that it was clearly because he was black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry that this happened to you. It's horrible to have someone wrongfully undermine you like that, but in therapy that should NEVER happen. He sounds extremely ignorant and unprofessional, and it makes me sad to think that people may still be going to him for therapy. I'm glad that you didn't stay long though, I can't imagine that sort of person being at all helpful in that setting. How frustrating that he had to accuse you of racism just because you didn't want to see him anymore! As if there couldn't possibly be any other reason!

      Delete
  14. a male had an issue with me and started cursing me, in particular calling me cunt, bitch, fucking whore etc. All woman-hating names. I had tried to reason with him and he couldn't hear me. I realized he wouldn't hear any words I might say, so I waited until he took a breath, and in that moment of silence I pointed at him and said, loudly "HA HA". That's all. No other words, no obscene gestures. It stopped him cold. His eyes bugged out. He turned around and left as quickly as he could go without running, flipping of off over the shoulder with both hands. Each time he paused I shrieked "HA HA".

    Felt like a huge *win* to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go! When someone is in that sort of angry state acting that way, it's impossible to reason them. To find some other way of standing up for yourself and shutting them down is really the only option. You did a fantastic job of that! It is so satisfying to be able to do that. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  15. The thing that breaks my brain is that I get honked at and hollered at when I take my son out in his stroller. Now, when he's in his baby carrier strapped to my chest? No issue. If any guy waves or calls hello, it's usually a greeting for the baby, entirely friendly. But same outfits, same kid, and a stroller? Oh my GOSH. The last time the carrier was drying out, I got honked and hollered at about ten times on a mile long walk.

    Now, here's the thing. I got hollered at once pre-kid, and it wasn't anything to me. A little confusing, but otherwise a non-issue, because it so rarely happened. But when I have my son with me in his stroller? Oh my GOSH. I don't know what's with that. I allow that post-baby, my walk has more wiggle to it (*laugh* Who would have thought that hips would change after getting something watermelon sized through them? :P). But still. It's like, there is a baby. RIGHT THERE. You are hollering in front of my SON. And suddenly, BAM. It feels threatening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. That's horrible, and so bizarre that it's only when you are pushing your son in his stroller. I find it absolutely disgusting (even more than any situation of street harassment) that men do this to you in front of your son! That just seems even more insulting and unacceptable. I'm very curious as to why this has started, and I'm so sorry that this is happening to you.

      Delete
  16. I've rolled down a window before just to tell a woman she was beautiful, in those words, but I don't think thats the same a being harassing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You shouldn't even be doing that, even if it's well intentioned. Read this: http://freethoughtblogs.com/brutereason/2013/05/02/why-you-shouldnt-tell-that-random-girl-on-the-street-that-shes-hot/

      Delete
    2. I definitely think there's a difference between paying someone a compliment and harassing them on the street. Personally I wouldn't be offended in that situation, but I know that many women would, simply because of the concept of their appearance being anyone's business or giving anyone the right to approach them. I think it's great that you commented on this willing to get reactions to your actions and see what people thought of them. I think in these situations the most important thing is to be respectful and non-threatening. Be clear that you only wish to pay her a compliment and don't expect anything else to happen.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you've got to say, and will leave responses below your comments.