Wednesday, 10 July 2013

Home

It's weird when you start referring to multiple places as home. I say that I'm home now, yet I also say I'm going home to London in September. It's a tricky balance between feeling like I don't have a home, and feeling at home everywhere I go.

This post is about my home in the suburbs of Philadelphia where I've spent most of my life. Being back here is always bittersweet. It's great to be able to spend time with my family and friends, to spend some time in Philly, and explore the things that have been lost in the depths of my messy room.

But there are also so many memories. Every detail of the hardest years of my life are ingrained in this place, and as much as I would like to say that I am completely at peace with my past and therefore not bothered by these things, that isn't entirely true.

This is not to say that the things that have affected me in the past affect me today, or that things that have come and gone are constantly on my mind. But being home triggers memories, and some things have been forgotten but not quite forgiven. My imagination is to vivid-- if I think about something to much I feel as if I'm experiencing it all over again.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I know exactly what you mean! Everytime I go back "home" I am triggered with memories, both good and bad. But in many ways I think it's healthy and cathartic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so great when I can write something like this and talk to people who have the same experiences! But you're right, its unavoidable and probably a good thing in many ways.

      Delete
    2. I do think it's a good thing in many ways. It makes us confront our past self and sometimes that healthy because it allows us to move forward. Have a beautiful weekend :)

      Delete
    3. Thats a really good point Keith. Thanks and hope your weekend has been beautiful as well :)

      Delete
  2. I have multiple places that are home to me now, including three different cities in France! Then there's my hometown, and where I went to school, and where I live now. I think it's normal the older we get, to embrace more places as home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I think that probably does happen a lot. I guess we're in the time in between where we grew up being our only home and being totally settled in a new home.

      Delete
  3. i was once told that emotions dont know time. so easily a smell or a sound can trigger a memory and the emotion attached to it just washes over you engulfing you in those feelings as if it were just yesterday. sometimes thats a beautiful thing, other times... perhaps not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emotions don't know time.. I love that. And that's very true that this can be really great, as well as not so great. But regardless, I do think it's pretty cool that we can be transported through memories so easily..

      Delete
  4. i can relate to what you say. sometimes i feel i'm coming home when i'm shooting on one of tv shows that i work for. funny isn't it. i think home is where you heart belongs, and it could lay on some places or someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's weird how sometimes it's such the familiarity of a place or your feelings towards. And good point that this can apply to people too, it definitely does for me.

      Delete
  5. Great post. I also refer to multiple places as my home. It definitely can get weird, especially when you remember things you have forgot about, which sometimes can be a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true, I think I need to remember the beauty of that right now.

      Delete
  6. This is a brilliant post, love your blog too!

    xo Camilla

    Into The Fold

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you talk about the balance of feeling at home everywhere you go and still thinking of London as home. To me, this is the essence of travel. Can't wait to see more of your time in the States!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops sorry I just realized I never responded! But you're right, this is the essence of travel, and especially of just always wanting to see more places.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you've got to say, and will leave responses below your comments.